Home > NewsRelease > Detroit Catholic Central Athletes Protect Smiles With Custom Mouthguards
Text Graphics
Detroit Catholic Central Athletes Protect Smiles With Custom Mouthguards
From:
Timothy Kosinski DDS -- Esthetic Dentistry Timothy Kosinski DDS -- Esthetic Dentistry
,
Wednesday, September 28, 2011


Dr. Timothy Kosinski, aka the SmileCreator, is a team dentist for the Shamrock football, wrestling and hockey teams.
 
Now that fall has arrived and a new school year has begun the Smile Creator is once again busy protecting the smiles of athletes at Detroit Catholic Central.Dr. Timothy Kosinski, known statewide as the SmileCreator, is a team dentist for the Shamrock football, wrestling and hockey teams. As such, he fits all team members with mouthguards so they will be properly equipped when they begin competition.The National Youth Sports Foundation for the Prevention of Athletic Injuries reports that dental injuries are the most common type of injury sustained during participation sports. Dr. Kosinski points out that mouth guards prevent approximately 200,000 injuries each year in high school and collegiate football alone. More than 90 percent of the mouthguards worn are of the type purchased at sporting good stores and the other 10 percent are of the custom made variety diagnosed and designed by a health professional such as a dentist or athletic trainer"After being approached by the athletic trainer at Detroit Catholic Central several years ago," said Dr. Kosinski, "I first fabricated custom mouthguards in my office but then arranged for a dental laboratory in Pennsylvania to make customized mouthguards for the Catholic Central athletes."The laminated guards are layered under pressure to give outstanding protection and fit. Players are able to talk and breathe easily and concentrate on playing football or hockey without worrying about the mouthguard falling out"The pressure laminated mouthguards I've been making for the Detroit Catholic Central football, hockey and wrestling teams are of the highest quality," explains Dr. Kosinski, "Each layer is shaped separately over a customized mold of the athlete's teeth. Thickness is controlled where it is needed most to provide proper protection."The mouthguards are personalized with the team colors, logo and the athlete's name.Making 100 mouthguards for Catholic Central athletes could be overwhelming but Dr. Kosinski meets the athletes at the school in Novi before practices and makes putty impressions. It only takes about three minutes to make an impression for one player"Although the custom mouthguards cost the players a nominal fee, about the same amount as the store-bought guards," says Dr. Kosinski, "it is far cheaper than paying to fix or replace teeth damaged or knocked out in a game."The SmileCreator office is located at: 31000 Telegraph Rd., Suite 170, Bingham Farms, MI 48025. For more information visit: http://www.smilecreator.net  (248) 646-8651About Dr. Timothy F. Kosinski, DDS, MAGDDr. Kosinski is an Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry and serves on the editorial review board of Reality, the information source for esthetic dentistry, Contemporary Esthetics and Clinical Advisors. He is a Diplomat of the American Board of Oral Implantology/Implant Dentistry, the International Congress of Oral Implantologists and the American Society of Osseointegration.  He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Implant Dentistry and received his Mastership in the Academy of General Dentistry.  Dr. Kosinski has received many honors including Fellowship in the American and International Colleges of Dentists, the Academy of Dentistry International, is a member of OKU and the Pierre Fauchard Academy. Dr. Kosinski was the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry Alumni Association's "Alumnus of the Year" in 2001. Dr. Kosinski has published over 80 articles on the surgical and prosthetic phases of implant dentistry and was a contributor to the textbook, Principles and Practices of Implant Dentistry.-END-Media Contact:Scott LorenzWestwind Communications Medical Public RelationsOffice: 734-667-2090 Cell: 248-705-2214scottlorenz@westwindcos.comwww.westwindcos.com  
 
Scott Lorenz
Westwind Communications Medical Marketing
Plymouth, MI
734-667-2090